People travel from all over the world to hike, climb, bike and paddle in the Roanoke Valley. At Roanoke College, these adventures are right at your doorstep.
It’s not uncommon to meet a group of hikers from California on the trail up to McAfee’s Knob, the most photographed destination on the Appalachian Trail. Nearby, Carvin’s Cove is reputed to have some of the best mountain biking on the East Coast, drawing bikers from around the globe.
Roanoke College students are lucky – they don’t have to travel the world to seek world-class adventures. Our region is ecologically unique and rich with outdoor activities that are second to none. Whether you’re a seasoned explorer looking for backpacking routes through the Grayson Highlands, or a newcomer hoping to nail kayak rolling ahead of a whitewater trip, there’s an adventure for you.
Go on an adventure!
The Outdoors Adventure Program
The Outdoor Adventures program takes advantage of the College's geographic location to offer a unique outdoor experiences. OA runs numerous outdoor excursions for students during the year including hiking, backpacking, climbing, mountain biking, kayaking, skiing, whitewater rafting, and hang gliding. All trips are led by student guides certified in CPR/AED and Wilderness First Aid, though some activities require the additional expertise of professional instructors. OA also offers Journey, a pre-orientation program for incoming freshmen.
- Roanoke - Most Affordable Destinations for a Fall Getaway | Travel + Leisure
- McAfee Knob - Best Section of the Appalachian Trail - Best of the Blue Ridge by Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine
- Roanoke River Greenway - Best Urban Park/Greenway - Best of the Blue Ridge by Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine
- Peaks of Otter - Best Spot Along the Blue Ridge Parkway - Best of the Blue Ridge by Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine
- Virginia's Blue Ridge designated a Silver-Level Ride Center™ by the International Mountain Bicycling Association | May 2018